Dear Noelle, I don't make homemade manicotti shells. I buy my shells imported from Italy at an Italian store. But,…
Peperoni Arrostiti Con Uova in Carozza – or eggs in a basket with roasted peppers – is a popular dish enjoyed by Italy and most of Europe. Despite the simplicity of the meal, my recipe for Peperoni Arrostiti Con Uova in Carozza is a sure-fire hit for the family at any time of day! Hot, delicious and irresistible, bring a classic taste of Italy into your home by following my recipe for Peperoni Arrostiti Con Uova in Carozza below.
Peperoni Arrostiti con Uova in Carozza (Egg in a Basket with Roasted Peppers)
- 8 slices rustic Italian bread, at least 4 inches in diameter, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pads
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Sicilian fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black paper
- 6 roasted peppers
1. Cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread with a cookie cutter or a glass approximately 3 inches in diameter. Discard the cut-out pieces of bread (or save them for another use).
2. Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 pad of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt. Putting 2 slices of bread in the frying pan at a time, brown the slices on both sides until they’re crispy and golden.
3. While browning the second side of the bread, gently crack an egg into the hole in the middle of the slice. Keep browning the bread until the white of the egg is hard, but the yoke is still runny.
4. With a wide spatula, remove the egg in its “basket” of bread to a platter. Repeat this process with each of the eggs. When all the eggs in a basket are on the platter, sprinkle each of the yolks with the salt and pepper.
5. Roast the peppers until they are blackened. Once all peppers are done and cooled, remove the blackened skin from the pepper. This brings out the wonderful flavor of the peppers without having the bitter taste of the blackened skin in the dish.
6. Slice each roasted pepper into 4 pieces lengthwise. Place 3-4 slices of roasted pepper on top of each egg in the basket. To keep any leftover peppers, place them in a small casserole, and cover them completely with the rest of the extra virgin olive oil. The roasted peppers keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Simple yet refined, my recipe for Peperoni Arrostiti Con Uova in Carozza will not only brighten your day but bring joy to any dinner table! From Sunday dinner to everyday of the week, find traditional Italian recipes and products that will excite everyone through my line of Sunday Sauces and more. Visit Lisa’s Italian Kitchen shop today to explore my variety of Sunday Sauces or browse my other content for more recipes today!